Domino’s to appeal refusal
A FAST food giant will appeal a decision that saw its plans for a new outlet in Clevedon refused.
Domino’s Pizza had applied to open a takeaway in an empty retail unit in Old Church Road but on March 4 the plans were thrown out by North Somerset Councillors.
They said the new outlet would increase traffic at a busy junction and changing the use of the premises would have an adverse effect on the viability of the town centre. The proliferation of takeaways already in the area was also given as a reason.
More than 40 objections were made to the plans by members of the public and Clevedon Town Council.
North Somerset Council planning officers said the proposals should be approved, however, the majority of the authority’s north area planning committee disagreed and the plans were refused.
You may also want to watch:
As well as appealing this decision, Domino’s Pizza now intends to submit new plans for the same site.
A Domino’s Pizza spokesman said: “We are extremely disappointed the councillors did not follow the technical and professional advice of the planning officers and approve our application.
- 1 Where in North Somerset can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 2 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 3 Town council appeals for grit bin monitors in Portishead
- 4 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 5 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 6 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 7 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 8 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 9 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 10 Ashton & Backwell's season could "crumble" warns Jones
“We believe that Clevedon has great potential for pizza and we intend to submit a fresh application to allow the councillors to reconsider.
“At the same time, we will also be appealing the initial decision.”
If eventually allowed to open, the Domino’s Pizza outlet will be directly opposite an existing independent pizza business called Pizza Magic. This has sparked outrage among traders and residents in the town who do not want to see an independent company put out of business by a large chain.