Could old High Street bank become vet practice?
- Credit: Archant
Yatton could soon be home to another veterinary practice – if a new proposal to transform one of the village’s former banks is given the go-ahead by North Somerset Council.
The former NatWest bank, in the Pages Court shopping precinct, closed in 2015 and has been empty ever since.
However, a company called Southwest Vet Care wants to breathe new life into the property by turning it into a veterinary surgery, which will trade as Yatton Vets if its planning application is approved.
Property consultants DJ Foley have deemed this potential use of the building to be ‘acceptable’ – despite another vet, Watkins and Tasker, already operating just across the street.
Several other business ideas had been floated for the site, including turning it into a fast food outlet, a beauty salon or a café, but none of these schemes ever materialised.
You may also want to watch:
DJ Foley said in its marketing statement: “The marketing campaign generated only one firm offer for the property. This offer was received from a private individual wishing to use the property as a restaurant and takeaway (but) it was deemed by the landlord that a hot food takeaway unit would not be suitable in this location.
“In November, an offer to lease the property was received from Southwest Vet Care Limited, who will trade as Yatton Vets.
- 1 Contemporary living with lovely estuary views
- 2 Key workers awarded for their dedication during pandemic
- 3 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 4 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 April 12: Air ambulance charity has busiest week on record
- 7 Call for new system to help people with addictions and mental health issues
- 8 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 9 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 10 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
“This company will be making a very substantial investment in the property to include a complete refurbishment and high-quality fit out.
“The offer from Southwest Vet Care is the first acceptable offer that has been received during the 12 months the property has been vacant. We are of the opinion that a veterinary surgery is an appropriate use for this unit.
“The use will draw new users to the shopping precinct and will not conflict with other retail uses already present in the precinct.
“In addition, the attractive shop front will enhance the overall appearance of the precinct when viewed from High Street.”
* Visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/planning to view the application.