Club promotes work experience benefits
CLEVEDON Business Club is raising awareness of a national work experience initiative its members think could help small companies in the town.
The group was recently given a presentation by Chris Long from Clevedon Job Centre on the scheme, which sees adults aged 18-24, and sometimes older, placed with a company for two to eight weeks.
Businesses have managed to spot potential staff through offering work experience and have seen other benefits including current staff developing management skills and a fresh perspective being brought to the company by the new person.
As a result, Clevedon Business Club has been keen to promote the scheme’s benefits to local employers.
Member Nicola Jones said: “It seemed to us at the business club that small businesses need to be aware of this support, which is free to the employer.”
You may also want to watch:
One example of how the scheme has helped people develop their skills while also benefiting a start-up company is Women Outside The Box. Owned by Joni Farthing, the company held the first ever major women’s business event in Bristol on Monday.
Through the work experience scheme, Claire Eastmond and Chris Webster, were placed with Joni by Clevedon Job Centre. Both were instrumental in helping organise the event while gaining skills in online research and social media, and also honing skills they had gained from previous employment. Joni said: “It’s a win-win situation for us all.”
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Portishead Town's Trueman cancer diagnosis prompts £50,000 fundraising initiative
- 3 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 4 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 5 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 6 Portishead Big Clean returns this weekend
- 7 Police commissioner proposes rise in policing part of tax bill
- 8 Volunteers launch website for Trendlewood Park
- 9 Plans launched to upgrade village's Recreation Club
- 10 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
* For more details about the scheme email email@example.com