Club promotes work experience benefits
CLEVEDON Business Club is raising awareness of a national work experience initiative its members think could help small companies in the town.
The group was recently given a presentation by Chris Long from Clevedon Job Centre on the scheme, which sees adults aged 18-24, and sometimes older, placed with a company for two to eight weeks.
Businesses have managed to spot potential staff through offering work experience and have seen other benefits including current staff developing management skills and a fresh perspective being brought to the company by the new person.
As a result, Clevedon Business Club has been keen to promote the scheme’s benefits to local employers.
Member Nicola Jones said: “It seemed to us at the business club that small businesses need to be aware of this support, which is free to the employer.”
One example of how the scheme has helped people develop their skills while also benefiting a start-up company is Women Outside The Box. Owned by Joni Farthing, the company held the first ever major women’s business event in Bristol on Monday.
Through the work experience scheme, Claire Eastmond and Chris Webster, were placed with Joni by Clevedon Job Centre. Both were instrumental in helping organise the event while gaining skills in online research and social media, and also honing skills they had gained from previous employment. Joni said: “It’s a win-win situation for us all.”
- 1 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 2 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 3 Two more leave Portishead Town Council over 'in-person' controversy
- 4 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
- 5 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
- 6 Clevedon Library to close for THREE MONTHS for major refurb
- 7 Cadbury House to host open air cinema for the summer
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Home star Hughes wins Nailsea OBE tournament
- 10 Clevedon sixth formers teach English to non-native speakers
* For more details about the scheme email firstname.lastname@example.org