Claverham Cricket Club thanks theclub in Congresbury for helping grown game in village
- Credit: Archant
A village cricket club has thanked a North Somerset health club for a decade of sponsorship and says the financial assistance it has received has helped to grow the game.
Claverham Cricket Club has enjoyed on-field success in recent years, but it has been boosted off the field by theclub, at Congresbury’s DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House.
The children’s and women’s teams in particular have benefited from the fitness centre’s support.
Roger Copeland, chairman of Claverham cricket Club, said theclub’s backing had made a big difference in recent years.
He added: “On behalf of everyone at the cricket club I would like to say a huge thank you to theclub at Cadbury House for its generous support over the past decade.
You may also want to watch:
“We have recognised for some time that one of our responsibilities is to provide cricket for anyone in the area that wants to give it a go.
“Even though our 1st XI men’s side have grabbed all the headlines with back-to-back promotions to reach the WEPL Premier league for the first time in our 112-year history, it’s probably the development of a ladies’ cricket team and this season a girls’ cricket squad that we are equally enthusiastic about.
- 1 Health leaders urge people to keep following Covid guidelines as rates begin to drop in North Somerset
- 2 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 3 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 4 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 5 Actress urges people to get behind hospice appeal
- 6 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 7 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 8 Christmas lights lift spirits in Portishead
- 9 Clevedon postie brightens community and raises cash for children's charity
- 10 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
“Without the support of theclub we wouldn’t be able to run as many teams as we do and we look forward to the next 10 years.”
Jason Eaton, group director at theclub said it was great to see a local sports team doing so well and is happy the gym complex has played a part.
He said: “We love getting involved in the local community and sponsoring nearby organisations is the perfect way to show our support. Claverham Cricket Club has a fantastic set up and we’re delighted to help out.
“The club runs 11 teams providing a fantastic outlet for a wide range of ages and abilities.
“The number of players involved is amazing and forms an integral part of the local community.
“Without it Claverham and the surrounding area would lose a vital facility and is why it’s important for businesses like ours to get involved.”