Car wash plan for market area
- Credit: Archant
A market site in Portishead could be transformed into a car wash.
Planning permission is being sought to convert the area behind the The Poacher pub in High Street, near the Roath Road car park.
However, the plan has drawn criticism from some who believe an increase in traffic would be ‘hazardous for pedestrians’.
The project, if given the green light by North Somerset Council, would see a ‘car wash canopy with a metal frame and a stretched fabric top’ installed.
Motorists would access the facility by driving though the pub car park. Room to turn around will be provided to avoid anyone reversing onto the main road.
It is proposed the car wash is open from 8am-6pm every day, with the exception of Sundays where it will open one hour later.
However, the idea has already drawn some negative comments from people living in Portishead. Two objections have been submitted to North Somerset Council and have been published on its website.
- 1 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 2 House of Commons gives Liam Fox reason for Portishead Rail delay
- 3 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 4 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 5 Clevedon B&M redevelopment approved, despite hundreds of objections
- 6 Lovell's heroics ensure Clevedon Town pick up draw with Ilfracombe Town
- 7 Man to run half marathon for cancer charity
- 8 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 New Mercury and Times editor appointed
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
John Bird wrote: “It is very close to adjoining properties in Roath Road and will cause noise and disturbance.
“It has also for many years been a major pedestrian route from Roath Road car park. The additional number of vehicles crossing the pavement from the High Street pub car park entrance will be hazardous for pedestrians.”
Portishead Town Council will discuss the application at its planning and regulatory committee meeting tonight (Wednesday). It will be held at The Folk Hall and start at 7.30pm.