Hotel staff tackle beach clean
- Credit: Archant
Employees at a Congresbury hotel swapped their usual routine for a day at the beach, spending hours collecting rubbish.
Staff from DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House, took to Uphill beach to take part in a beach clean.
The team collected 20 bags of waste which will be recycled.
General manager Mehmet Kandemir said: “The issue of plastic waste in our seas and oceans really hit home when Sir David Attenborough highlighted the problem on the acclaimed Blue Planet 2 TV programme.
“Making small changes can have a big impact, especially if collectively we all do something.
“At Cadbury House for example, we stopped using water cooler bottles and switched to a water purification system. This means we don’t take delivery of any plastic water bottles.
“Collecting so much rubbish in one day made the whole team realise the scale of the issue.”
- 1 Town council submits complaint over 'financially flawed' appropriation of land
- 2 PICTURES: Festival of light at Clevedon Marine Lake
- 3 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 4 Storm Barra expected to bring high winds to South West
- 5 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 6 Meet the new leader of the Somerset Chamber of Commerce
- 7 PICTURES: Eat Nailsea festive food festival
- 8 Somerset counselling service gets £5,000 cash boost
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 'I walked into a full-blown argument': Estate agent considering valuation charge for DIVORCING COUPLES