Big bookshop support
BOOK fans from Clevedon have invested more than �10,000 in a new bookshop for their town.
Members of the public are able to buy shares in Clevedon Community Bookshop and literature fans flocked to the launch meeting of the new business buying �3,000 worth of shares and offering �7,900 in interest-free loans.
The businesses has also been given �1,500 from Co-operative Action Ltd, knocking their total up to �12,400.
Angela Everitt, who came up with the idea for a community bookshop, said: “We decided that if we didn’t raise �10,000 we’d send back the money and forget the idea, but we’ve already raised �12,400.
“We want to thank everyone for supporting us. We were staggered by the turn-out at the meeting.”
You may also want to watch:
Organisers still need to raise a further �7,600 to cover the start-up costs.
The community shop now has 90 members and organisers are asking each member to recruit five more.
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 3 PICTURES: Lions charity surprises Clevedon residents
- 4 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 5 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 6 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 9 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 10 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
People can still buy shares in the business or offer an interest-free loan. To find out more call Angela on 01275 219171 or email email@example.com
Members meet every Wednesday in the Royal Oak, in Copse Road from 5-7pm and every Sunday from 12-1pm and anyone is invited to pop along to find out more.