Big bookshop support
BOOK fans from Clevedon have invested more than �10,000 in a new bookshop for their town.
Members of the public are able to buy shares in Clevedon Community Bookshop and literature fans flocked to the launch meeting of the new business buying �3,000 worth of shares and offering �7,900 in interest-free loans.
The businesses has also been given �1,500 from Co-operative Action Ltd, knocking their total up to �12,400.
Angela Everitt, who came up with the idea for a community bookshop, said: “We decided that if we didn’t raise �10,000 we’d send back the money and forget the idea, but we’ve already raised �12,400.
“We want to thank everyone for supporting us. We were staggered by the turn-out at the meeting.”
Organisers still need to raise a further �7,600 to cover the start-up costs.
The community shop now has 90 members and organisers are asking each member to recruit five more.
- 1 Superb, high-spec house in a Nailsea hotspot
- 2 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 3 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Clevedon Choral back after 18 month hiatus caused by pandemic
- 7 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
- 8 Clevedon Library to close for THREE MONTHS for major refurb
- 9 Gardens on view for Clevedon wildlife trail
- 10 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
People can still buy shares in the business or offer an interest-free loan. To find out more call Angela on 01275 219171 or email email@example.com
Members meet every Wednesday in the Royal Oak, in Copse Road from 5-7pm and every Sunday from 12-1pm and anyone is invited to pop along to find out more.