Big bookshop support
BOOK fans from Clevedon have invested more than �10,000 in a new bookshop for their town.
Members of the public are able to buy shares in Clevedon Community Bookshop and literature fans flocked to the launch meeting of the new business buying �3,000 worth of shares and offering �7,900 in interest-free loans.
The businesses has also been given �1,500 from Co-operative Action Ltd, knocking their total up to �12,400.
Angela Everitt, who came up with the idea for a community bookshop, said: “We decided that if we didn’t raise �10,000 we’d send back the money and forget the idea, but we’ve already raised �12,400.
“We want to thank everyone for supporting us. We were staggered by the turn-out at the meeting.”
You may also want to watch:
Organisers still need to raise a further �7,600 to cover the start-up costs.
The community shop now has 90 members and organisers are asking each member to recruit five more.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 3 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 4 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 5 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 6 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 7 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 8 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 9 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 10 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
People can still buy shares in the business or offer an interest-free loan. To find out more call Angela on 01275 219171 or email email@example.com
Members meet every Wednesday in the Royal Oak, in Copse Road from 5-7pm and every Sunday from 12-1pm and anyone is invited to pop along to find out more.