Bank to close town franchises
- Credit: Archant
SANTANDER is closing its banking services in Nailsea, Clevedon and Portishead to cut costs.
The bank has served notice on 139 shops across the country which provided limited banking services under licence and Santander’s branding.
The services are provided by Mark Richard Insurance in Nailsea High Street, Dingley Brown and Co accountants in Portishead High Street and Newsham and Hanson accountancy firm in Six Ways, Clevedon.
The bank has decided to close the franchises due to the high cost involved in bringing the agencies up to the level of a full service branch, but the move could mean more than 10 people lose their jobs.
Steve Pateman, head of UK banking in Santander said: “Part of enabling customers to choose how they deal with us, is making sure that all of our retail branches offer full banking.
You may also want to watch:
“Consolidating our operations, following today’s announcement, is a vital next step for Santander, allowing us to concentrate on further enhancements and investment in our proprietary branch network, including branch openings and refurbishments.”
Smaller banks and building societies traditionally used third party agents to affordably expand their presence across the country.
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 4 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 8 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 9 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 10 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
The agents usually have a primary business established and also provide basic banking and savings products from the bank under licence.