Autolink moves into High Street site
A NEW business has opened in Portishead scuppering hopes of a High Street petrol station in the town.
Autolink Vehicle Solutions has closed down its used car showroom and service centre in Clevedon and moved them to the former Clist and Rattle site at 120 High Street, Portishead.
Owner Keith Squire who has lived in Portishead with his family for the past 15 years said: “We are a locally-owned family business with more than 25 years motor trade experience.
“Moving the business to my home town has always been my ambition.”
The vehicle centre will sell a range of main dealer part-exchange vehicles and has a well-equipped servicing centre. The company already employs eight full-time members of staff and Keith says he will be increasing this to 12 in the near future.
You may also want to watch:
Many High Street businesses have welcomed the move.
Bev Langdale who runs Portishead Fish Bar at 112 High Street said: “It’s great to see a redundant site in the High Street snapped up so quickly.
- 1 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 2 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 7 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 8 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 9 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 10 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
“With people coming in from out of town to buy cars and Autolink also creating new jobs, this seems to be good news for the town in general.”
When Renault dealership Clist and Rattle moved off the site in October after almost 40 years, residents hoped supermarket chain Sainsbury’s, which has plans to open a store in Portishead, would acquire the site for a second petrol station in the town.
Keith added: “We may not be serving petrol but customers will get a good deal with us whether they are buying a car or having their existing vehicle serviced.
“We are looking forward to getting to know our new clients and becoming part of the Portishead community.”