Autolink moves into High Street site
A NEW business has opened in Portishead scuppering hopes of a High Street petrol station in the town.
Autolink Vehicle Solutions has closed down its used car showroom and service centre in Clevedon and moved them to the former Clist and Rattle site at 120 High Street, Portishead.
Owner Keith Squire who has lived in Portishead with his family for the past 15 years said: “We are a locally-owned family business with more than 25 years motor trade experience.
“Moving the business to my home town has always been my ambition.”
The vehicle centre will sell a range of main dealer part-exchange vehicles and has a well-equipped servicing centre. The company already employs eight full-time members of staff and Keith says he will be increasing this to 12 in the near future.
Many High Street businesses have welcomed the move.
Bev Langdale who runs Portishead Fish Bar at 112 High Street said: “It’s great to see a redundant site in the High Street snapped up so quickly.
- 1 Winners of Clevedon artist of the year announced
- 2 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 3 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 4 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Clifton music festival returns after Covid hiatus
- 7 Modern three-bedroom detached bungalow
- 8 LETTER: 'Has our council become a dictatorship?'
- 9 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“With people coming in from out of town to buy cars and Autolink also creating new jobs, this seems to be good news for the town in general.”
When Renault dealership Clist and Rattle moved off the site in October after almost 40 years, residents hoped supermarket chain Sainsbury’s, which has plans to open a store in Portishead, would acquire the site for a second petrol station in the town.
Keith added: “We may not be serving petrol but customers will get a good deal with us whether they are buying a car or having their existing vehicle serviced.
“We are looking forward to getting to know our new clients and becoming part of the Portishead community.”