Asda to open soon
A NEW Asda supermarket could open in Clevedon by the end of the year.
A planning application has been submitted to North Somerset Council to change the use of the Focus DIY site in Tweed Road from a DIY store to a food retail outlet.
The proposals also include the installation of an ATM machine and alerations to the service yard.
Since it was announced in March that Asda hoped to take over the site, the supermarket giant has been working to agree a lease with the land owner, which has now been achieved.
An Asda spokesman said: “If everything goes to plan and permission is granted, we hope to start work in September and hope to have the store open by the end of the year.”
The shop will be smaller than Asda’s many superstores and will be called an Asda Supermarket. It could provide from 50-70 jobs.
* Let us know what you think about Asda coming to Clevedon by voting in our poll or leaving a comment below.
- 1 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 2 House of Commons gives Liam Fox reason for Portishead Rail delay
- 3 Clevedon B&M redevelopment approved, despite hundreds of objections
- 4 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Friends opt for career change with new Backwell distillery
- 7 New Mercury and Times editor appointed
- 8 Remembrance service for crew who died in air crash
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns