Asda planned for Clevedon
CLEVEDON shoppers may soon have even more stores to choose from when an Asda supermarket opens in the town.
The retail giant has reached an agreement with the owners of Focus DIY and Gardening to take over the lease of the site it currently occupies in Strode Road.
If the deal goes ahead, this will bring the number of supermarkets in the town to four, adding to the existing Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl stores.
An ASDA spokesman said it is hoped the new shop could be open this autumn and the recruitment process for the 70 jobs it will generate will begin in the summer.
Focus DIY and Gardening, which has 178 outlets nationally, has been in Strode Road since May 1989 and currently employs 15 people.
You may also want to watch:
The move to construct an Asda at the site is part of a bigger deal made between the two companies.
Focus chairman Bill Grimsey said: “We have reached an agreement with Asda to assign the lease of six of our stores subject to various conditions being met.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
“That process is underway.
“Our staff are aware of the situation. If we cannot accommodate them effectively they will lose their jobs.
“Having said that, Asda will probably create three or four times the number of jobs we provide.”
An Asda spokesman said: “These stores will become part of our growing supermarkets division, which allow our customers to complete their weekly shop and benefit from the same great prices as our larger stores, in a smaller setting.
“Subject to contracts and fulfilment of conditions, we hope to open the majority of stores this autumn.”