Asda planned for Clevedon
CLEVEDON shoppers may soon have even more stores to choose from when an Asda supermarket opens in the town.
The retail giant has reached an agreement with the owners of Focus DIY and Gardening to take over the lease of the site it currently occupies in Strode Road.
If the deal goes ahead, this will bring the number of supermarkets in the town to four, adding to the existing Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl stores.
An ASDA spokesman said it is hoped the new shop could be open this autumn and the recruitment process for the 70 jobs it will generate will begin in the summer.
Focus DIY and Gardening, which has 178 outlets nationally, has been in Strode Road since May 1989 and currently employs 15 people.
The move to construct an Asda at the site is part of a bigger deal made between the two companies.
Focus chairman Bill Grimsey said: “We have reached an agreement with Asda to assign the lease of six of our stores subject to various conditions being met.
- 1 Yatton RFC make history with first ever under-nine game
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 4 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 5 Glastonbury 2022: Who is confirmed and how do I get tickets?
- 6 Tributes paid to much-loved former councillor Derrick Lovering
- 7 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 8 New free BMX track proposed for Portishead
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Work on new Cheddar pump track set to begin
“That process is underway.
“Our staff are aware of the situation. If we cannot accommodate them effectively they will lose their jobs.
“Having said that, Asda will probably create three or four times the number of jobs we provide.”
An Asda spokesman said: “These stores will become part of our growing supermarkets division, which allow our customers to complete their weekly shop and benefit from the same great prices as our larger stores, in a smaller setting.
“Subject to contracts and fulfilment of conditions, we hope to open the majority of stores this autumn.”