Asda planned for Clevedon
CLEVEDON shoppers may soon have even more stores to choose from when an Asda supermarket opens in the town.
The retail giant has reached an agreement with the owners of Focus DIY and Gardening to take over the lease of the site it currently occupies in Strode Road.
If the deal goes ahead, this will bring the number of supermarkets in the town to four, adding to the existing Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl stores.
An ASDA spokesman said it is hoped the new shop could be open this autumn and the recruitment process for the 70 jobs it will generate will begin in the summer.
Focus DIY and Gardening, which has 178 outlets nationally, has been in Strode Road since May 1989 and currently employs 15 people.
You may also want to watch:
The move to construct an Asda at the site is part of a bigger deal made between the two companies.
Focus chairman Bill Grimsey said: “We have reached an agreement with Asda to assign the lease of six of our stores subject to various conditions being met.
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 4 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 6 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 7 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 8 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 9 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 10 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
“That process is underway.
“Our staff are aware of the situation. If we cannot accommodate them effectively they will lose their jobs.
“Having said that, Asda will probably create three or four times the number of jobs we provide.”
An Asda spokesman said: “These stores will become part of our growing supermarkets division, which allow our customers to complete their weekly shop and benefit from the same great prices as our larger stores, in a smaller setting.
“Subject to contracts and fulfilment of conditions, we hope to open the majority of stores this autumn.”