Appeal for flexible working hours
- Credit: Archant
A MUM-of-two who runs an accountants in Backwell is calling for more businesses to offer flexible working hours to enable parents to go back to work.
Della Hudson set up her own firm after having children as she was unable to find a company which would offer flexitime.
Hudson Accountants, in West Town Road, is now manned by a team of four and Della is keen to promote flexible working hours.
Della, aged 46, said: “I didn’t want to be a stay-at-home-mum, but there were no jobs which offered the flexibility needed to spend time with my children and have a fulfilling career.
“I often see mothers at the school gates who are unable to work in their chosen fields because they cannot carry out 9 to 5 jobs and flexible working hours simply aren’t available.
You may also want to watch:
“I think this is such a shame and companies are missing out on great talent. I think it would be in the interest of all parties if small to middle-sized companies offered adjustable hours.”
Last year, workers were given the right to ask for flexible hours, but few positions are actively advertised as flexible.
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 3 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 4 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 5 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 6 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 7 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 8 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 9 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 10 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
Della added: “I try to offer flexible working hours to my team, whether they are mothers or not. I think it helps bring in a high calibre of staff and I believe the adaptability is reciprocated.”
Della also offers free money matters seminars where entrepreneurs can get advice and ideas on how to grow their businesses.