Appeal for flexible working hours
- Credit: Archant
A MUM-of-two who runs an accountants in Backwell is calling for more businesses to offer flexible working hours to enable parents to go back to work.
Della Hudson set up her own firm after having children as she was unable to find a company which would offer flexitime.
Hudson Accountants, in West Town Road, is now manned by a team of four and Della is keen to promote flexible working hours.
Della, aged 46, said: “I didn’t want to be a stay-at-home-mum, but there were no jobs which offered the flexibility needed to spend time with my children and have a fulfilling career.
“I often see mothers at the school gates who are unable to work in their chosen fields because they cannot carry out 9 to 5 jobs and flexible working hours simply aren’t available.
You may also want to watch:
“I think this is such a shame and companies are missing out on great talent. I think it would be in the interest of all parties if small to middle-sized companies offered adjustable hours.”
Last year, workers were given the right to ask for flexible hours, but few positions are actively advertised as flexible.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 8 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
Della added: “I try to offer flexible working hours to my team, whether they are mothers or not. I think it helps bring in a high calibre of staff and I believe the adaptability is reciprocated.”
Della also offers free money matters seminars where entrepreneurs can get advice and ideas on how to grow their businesses.