Airport lounge opened by TV presenter Carol
- Credit: Archant
Passengers at Bristol Airport were greeted by a surprise celebrity guest when TV presenter Carol Vorderman opened a newly-refurbished departures lounge.
The former Countdown host unveiled the £50,000 improvement, which will largely benefit business passengers and provides customers travelling with airline bmi regional with a dedicated area to wait for their flight.
Some of the lounge’s features include a workstation area, free WiFi access, mobile phone charging points, a hot drinks vending machine and a range of seating.
Ms Vorderman, who is planning to fly solo around the world next year, said: “I have lived in Bristol for nearly 10 years and it has been fantastic to see how the airport has developed.
“I love flying and becoming a pilot was a real challenge. When I fly around the world I will either be taking off from or landing at Bristol, so I am really looking forward to working with the airport.”
The airport’s chief executive, Robert Sinclair, said: “The opening of this dedicated gate lounge area is another demonstration of our commitment to the business community in the South West.
“We know many of our customers travel regularly for work and we want to make the experience as comfortable and efficient as we can.”
- 1 First Bus and Stagecoach reps to face Portishead residents in meeting
- 2 North Somerset Council to approve historic bus improvement plan
- 3 Herd of model baby elephants complete 400-mile journey to Noah's Ark Zoo
- 4 Century-old family business opens new storage facility in Worle
- 5 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 6 Dual-site primary school rated good by inspectors
- 7 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
- 8 New balls for North Somerset rugby club - from car giant Honda
- 9 Business helps educate Portishead students on internet safety
- 10 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
The investment was also welcomed by bmi regional, which is Bristol Airport’s biggest airline.
Its chief commercial officer Jochen Schnadt said: “The new departure gates will ensure the airport experience is even smoother and more seamless.”
The departure lounge’s opening comes as the airport embarks on a large expansion programme. A major extension to its terminal opened earlier this year and more improvements will take place in 2016.