Airport car park set for expansion?
- Credit: Archant
Bristol Airport hopes to fight the ‘worsening’ problem of unauthorised countryside parking by bringing forward the expansion of a major car park.
The airport is planning to expand its silver zone car park to create an extra 3,650 spaces, which it says will be used during the summer months.
It gained planning permission to develop the area in question in 2011 as part of its wider expansion plans, but conditions specified work could not start on the development until the first phase of a multi-storey car park to the north of the terminal was completed.
The airport now says it wants to expand the car park, while simultaneously working on the multi-storey, in order to reduce unauthorised parking in nearby fields.
It also says this would be better than developing the multi-storey first, as the airport will have to charge higher parking prices for this car park to offset its building costs.
You may also want to watch:
The airport’s planning team has contacted North Somerset Council to see if it needs to carry out an environmental impact assessment before applying to change the planning conditions.
It said: “The pattern of passenger growth since planning permission for the airport’s expansion was granted has evolved, with higher demand at the peak and increased penetration in parts of the airport’s catchment area which are currently relatively poorly served by public transport. This has resulted in the proliferation of unauthorised off-site car parks, particularly during the busiest summer months, and this problem appears to be worsening.
- 1 Plant-based diet helps Clevedon man fight cancer
- 2 How a Nailsea care home weathered the Covid-19 storm
- 3 Businesses donate nearly 500 computers to support pupils in lockdown
- 4 Caroline Goddard wins community hero competition
- 5 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 6 Daly on Portishead Town's season so far and ambitions for the future
- 7 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 8 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 9 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 10 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
“It is proposed the extension to the silver zone car park be brought forward and developed while construction of a first phase of the multi-storey car park is underway.”