£15k on offer for local causes
- Credit: Archant
TWO good causes in Pill could benefit from up to £15,000 from the village’s Southern Cooperative store.
Bosses at the Baltic Place shop have named the Crockerne School Business Support Group and Pill and District Children and Young People’s Partnerships as the groups which will gain from its Community Support Card (CSC) scheme.
To be launched in the New Year, the scheme sees cards given to shoppers to swipe every time they visit the store. The more the cards are swiped, the more funding the causes will receive.
Up to £10,000 will be given to the children and young people’s partnership to help fund its work with youngsters aged 0-19 in the village through projects including youth clubs and holiday activities.
Secretary Joanna Burt said: “With local Government unable to fund such activities, there is a marked gap in affordable and interesting opportunities available to young people with in Pill and we rely completely on grants and fundraising. For us to be promised up to £10,000 from the scheme means we can actually continue to fund fun activities for children and young people here in Pill.”
Crockerne Business School Support Group, which is raising money to renovate the swimming pool at the village primary school, will receive up to £5,000 from the CSC scheme.
Chairman Jenny Charlewood said: “This pool is used by the school and the local community for learning vital water skills and for fun and pleasure.
- 1 Man completely covers his house with festive lights to 'spread Christmas cheer'
- 2 Man sentenced to at least 24 years for trying to kill his parents
- 3 Three-day Christmas market coming to North Somerset
- 4 Clevedon bookshop to launch grant scheme
- 5 How a family-run funeral directors can help to provide peace of mind
- 6 'Historic' Down Syndrome bill set to become law
- 7 Portishead retailer's suitcase appeal to support vulnerable African children
- 8 Christmas lights to be switched on in Clevedon this weekend
- 9 Clevedon family braves cold water challenge in memory of grandad
- 10 Doctors surgery to get revamp
“The money raised will go toward replacing the roof so the pool can continue be used for many more years to come.”