BONFIRE NIGHT 2018: Firework displays in North Somerset
PUBLISHED: 17:00 29 October 2018
Picture: Paul Ruddock Photography
The sky above North Somerset will be full of bright colours and the sound of crackles and bangs this weekend.
Bonfire Night on Monday will remember the night of the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605 when Guy Fawkes and his comrades attempted to blow up the House of Lords.
To celebrate the fact King James I had survived the attempt on his life and Fawkes had been arrested while guarding the explosives, people lit bonfires around London to mark the event.
This weekend will see people in North Somerset look to the sky at the brilliant array of displays to honour this age old British tradition.
Here are the events taking place around the district:
– Fireworks will be set off at Portishead Town Football Club’s Bristol Road grounds on Friday, with the gates opening at 6pm.
There will be a barbecue and a bar open before the show starts at 7.30pm.
– Clevedon Round Table will hold its Firework Fantasia at Dial Hill Cricket Club, in Esmond Grove on Saturday.
The gates will open at 6pm and the traditional bonfire will be lit at 7pm before the display begins at 7.30pm.
– Nailsea and Backwell Rugby Club will hold a bonfire night and firework display at its West End Park Ground the same night.
The gates will open at 6pm and the fireworks will begin at 7.45pm.
– Flax Bourton Primary School, in Church Road, will also host a display on November 9, from 5.30pm.
Burgers, tacos, bar, raffle and children’s crafts will be enjoyed, with the firework display starting at 6.30pm.
– Yatton Rugby Club will welcome people to its North End ground on November 9 for a spectacular fireworks display.
Doors will open from 5.30pm and there will be a bonfire, stalls and the main event will start at 6.30pm.
Advanced tickets costs £4 per person or £12 per family and on the door they cost £5 per person and £15 per family.
Pick up your advanced tickets from the village’s Post Office or from the school.
All money raised will go to the Yatton Federated School Association.
Grab your sparklers and head down to one of these many displays with your families for an evening of warm food, cold drinks and laughter.