Bold thief steals valuable clothes
A BOLD shoplifter made off with more than �1,000 worth of goods from a Portishead store after grabbing armfuls of clothes while the shopkeeper was at the back of the shop.
After running out of Summit Outdoor Leisure in Wyndham Way the suspect then jumped into an awaiting car, which sped off toward Bristol.
The incident happened on January 10 when at about 3pm a man, who appeared to be in his late 30s or early 40s, entered the walking and camping equipment shop.
After looking at some jackets and talking with shop owner Mike Johnston, he enquired about a particular walking boot.
As Mike made his way towards the boots at the back of the store, the man grabbed a line of quality jackets from a rail and made a dash through the showroom, to a car outside.
He jumped into the passenger seat of the awaiting silver grey Toyota Yaris, which had no visible rear number plate.
The man and his accomplice sped off, turning right at the Wyndham Way traffic lights heading towards Bristol.
- 1 Busy route to Bristol to close for roadworks next week
- 2 Two more leave Portishead Town Council over 'in-person' controversy
- 3 Van destroyed by fire on busy village route
- 4 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 5 Gardens on view for Clevedon wildlife trail
- 6 New chair elected at North Somerset Council
- 7 Nailsea's Trendlewood Park needs volunteers
- 8 Plan for nine homes near tourist attraction refused
- 9 Record-breaking North Somerset AC keep on delivering success
- 10 Snoopy is coming to North Somerset...
The whole episode was captured on CCTV and shop owner Mike Johnston, who has been left shocked and angry, says he hopes the footage will help police catch the culprit.
He said: “I feel very sad and angry that a fellow human being can walk into a small, independent retail outlet and carry out these actions. Running a small business is tough enough without having blatant theft to contend with.”
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward. A female customer left the shop as the suspect entered, contractors were working just outside Summit and there were plenty of shoppers in the area as the car drove off at speed.
Anyone with information should call Portishead police on 0845 456 7000.