Bloom group takes year off competing
AN AWARD-WINNING community group has decided to take a year off from competing in the prestigious South West in Bloom competition.
Members of Nailsea in Bloom have taken the decision after achieving three gold awards in the past three years.
Despite not taking part in the competition, the group has vowed to continue creating impressive, colourful displays around the town.
Nailsea in Bloom chairman Martyn Davies said: “We have gained a lot from the competition - it has helped us set standards of what we wanted to achieve and encouraged us to make continuing improvements.
“Our success in the competition has been outstanding.
You may also want to watch:
“In our first year we were given a silver award, then we had three silver gilts and have won a gold in each of the past three years.
“It is time for us now to concentrate on our planting in and around Nailsea and have a break from the competition.
- 1 ‘Perfect tribute’ as Clevedon Pier named pier of the year
- 2 Chief constable's bid to overturn ruling on PC's racist language dismissed
- 3 Nailsea & Backwell under-16s get better of Weston on return to rugby
- 4 Carpenter praises Clevedon following success over Chippenham
- 5 Business expansion plans get the go-ahead at Royal Portbury Dock
- 6 Nailsea teacher publishes book on cycling challenge
- 7 Suspension bridge to close for maintenance
- 8 Stunning and modern four-bedroom home near open countryside
- 9 Nailsea church awarded grant for repairs and reopening
- 10 THINGS TO DO: Inflatable theme park returns to Gatcombe Farm Shop
“We will be keeping up the high standards of planting we have set ourselves in recent years, making sure Nailsea stays as colourful as ever.”
Nailsea in Bloom volunteers work throughout the year to keep the town looking colourful and most recently, the group has created a new shrub bed in the Station Road car park.
In May, the group will be putting out summer bedding plants in containers and flower beds.