Blind man suffers fractured skull after collision

Ray Stevens

Ray Stevens - Credit: supplied

A BLIND man is in hospital with a fractured skull after colliding with a car at the same ‘dangerous’ spot where he has been campaigning for a crossing to be installed.

Ray Stevens pictured with fellow campaigners Mandy Palmer and Mark Regan in January.

Ray Stevens pictured with fellow campaigners Mandy Palmer and Mark Regan in January. - Credit: Archant

Ray Stevens, aged 79, launched a campaign in January in a bid to get a crossing put in place at the junction of Queens Road and Mizzymead Road in Nailsea.

On Thursday, he was involved in an accident at the same location.

His son Ashley is now calling for answers as to why nothing has been done to make crossing the road safer for pedestrians.

He said: “I’m not happy. Everyone wanted a crossing there.

“We went to Nailsea Town Council and they were all for it but North Somerset just didn’t want to know about it. I’m gunning for them now.

“He’s got a fractured skull and he’s not in a good way.”

Most Read

Ray had been working with Guide Dogs for the Blind to appeal for a crossing on Queens Road near the junction with Mizzymead Road.

He has to cross the busy highway every day to get to the shops and other local facilities but felt he was risking his life every time he did as he has to rely on listening for traffic.

The crossing was expected to cost £35,000 and campaigners contacted the Times in January to launch an appeal for businesses and organisations to donate to the cause.

Ashley, aged 34, said: “Dad always said there should be a crossing there with all the children crossing to go to school.

“It’s 40mph, but people bomb down there at 60mph. It’s very dangerous.”

However, speed is not believed to have been a factor in the accident and Ashley added: “The accident wasn’t the driver’s fault and we send her our best wishes.”

Ray is being treated at Bristol Royal Infirmary and has been fitted with a neck brace which he will have to wear for at least two weeks.

His son, who lives at home but works in Basingstoke during the week, is continuing to care for him but is desperate for something to be done.

Guide Dogs for the Blind has said it will continue pressing for a crossing.

Alun Gwernan-Jones, from the charity, said: “This is terrible news. We wish him all the very best for his recovery and we will renew our efforts to try to get a crossing installed.

“This demonstrates why it’s needed. It’s a shame statistics seem to have to be reached before any action is taken.”

A North Somerset Council spokesman said: “When we looked at this before the issue was that people seemed to cross at a number of different places so there weren’t a sufficient number of people crossing at one point to meet criteria for a crossing there.

“We will reassess the situation in light of what has happened.”