Ben Smith wins Pride of Britain award for 401-marathon challenge
- Credit: The401Challenge
Portishead runner Ben Smith has won a Pride of Britain award for running 401 marathon distances in as many days.
Ben Smith completed his mammoth challenge last month and scooped the ITV Fundraiser of the Year at last night’s (Monday’s) star-studded awards ceremony, hosted by Carol Vorderman.
He battled blisters and a hernia to complete his fundraising challenge, raising £300,000 for anti-bullying charities Kidscape and Stonewall.
Ben said: “Receiving the award is a true honour and really makes us all proud to think The 401 Challenge has had such a positive impact on people’s lives.
“I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported us as we couldn’t have pulled this off without it.”
You may also want to watch:
Portishead Town Council has been discussing whether a town plaque should be put up to commemorate his achievement.
In an online poll, 88 per cent of Times readers surveyed want the town council to proceed with the idea.
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 New multi-million pound sports facility for Backwell School
- 4 Shop Local: ‘Huge impact’ on independent home décor business after second lockdown hits
- 5 Portishead couple raises £5k for charity in support of close friend after cancer diagnosis
- 6 Shop Local: Popular fruit and veg specialist launches new website
- 7 Appeal for help to find missing teenager
- 8 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 9 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 10 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
* The awards will be televised tonight (Tuesday) on ITV at 8pm.