Ben Nevis trek for the National Autistic Society
A VOLUNTERS worker from Clevedon will take part in a trek up Ben Nevis with the aim of raising more than �500 for the National Autistic Society (NAS).
David Painter-Kooiman, who has Asperger’s Syndrome, will take on the 10-mile challenge on June 10 to help raise awareness of the society, a charity close to his heart.
Inspired by his first climb of Ben Nevis in 2009, the 26-year-old plans to create a video diary, documenting his journey climbing the highest mountain in the British Isles and giving his view on how he sees the world.
David was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome at the age of 16 - a condition that affects how a person makes sense of the world, processes information and relates to other people.
Since then he has become a regular volunteer with the NAS and has thrown himself into various pursuits to raise funds and awareness of the condition.
David said: “Doing the Ben Nevis trek is a great way to meet new people and keep fairly fit.
“My training is going really well, I cycle three times a week and am part of a running group, so I think I am very well prepared.
- 1 Yatton RFC make history with first ever under-nine game
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 4 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 5 Tributes paid to much-loved former councillor Derrick Lovering
- 6 Glastonbury 2022: Who is confirmed and how do I get tickets?
- 7 New free BMX track proposed for Portishead
- 8 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Work on new Cheddar pump track set to begin
“Walking is my passion so when I did the trek two years ago I decided to take a lot of photos of the beautiful landscape but this time I’m going to put a video diary together to document my experience.”
* Anyone wanting to find out more about future fund-raising events being organised by the NAS should contact the events team by emailing email@example.com or calling 08450 509001.