Town centre fire tackled by firefighters

PUBLISHED: 10:30 17 February 2018 | UPDATED: 10:30 17 February 2018


Firefighters were called to Clevedon town centre late last night (Friday) after flames and smoke was seen rising from a flat.

Crews from Weston-super-Mare, Yatton and Nailsea joined the emergency operation after a fire broke out in Old Church Road.

A dog had to be rescued and required medical attention at the scene.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service received a call to the incident shortly after 8.30pm.

A spokesman said: “We were called to reports of smoke and flames coming from the roof of a building in Old Church Road.

“Two teams from Clevedon were called and on arrival they saw smoke and flames coming from the roof.”

At that point, extra resources from across the district were called for.

The flat is above a hairdressers, but the fire service said only the building’s roof and residential areas were affected.

The spokesman added: “We rescued a dog from the premises and gave it oxygen therapy.

“We believe the dog is OK.”

This morning the fire service has revealed it believes the blaze was caused accidentally.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times