Auction at theatre group’s charity event
A THEATRE group from Backwell who have bared all for charity are holding a fundraising event for Prostate Cancer UK on Sunday.
Backwell Playhouse Theatre Company is putting on an auction and music night at the Bristol Old Vic, in King Street, from 6.30pm.
The group has just finished a sell-out production of Calendar Girls at Backwell Playhouse, as well as posing nude for their own version of the WI calendar.
Members began fundraising for Prostate Cancer UK after Terry Milton, director at the group, was diagnosed with the disease.
Terry, aged 75, said: “It was decided that we would do Calendar Girls last year and then I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in January.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls were very keen to do something for Prostate Cancer UK and it’s all taken off from there.
“It’s just extraordinary what they’ve done. I’m completely overawed by it.”
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 3 Nailsea & Tickenham maintain unbeaten start with comfortable win over Chard
- 4 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 5 North Somerset Arts Week is huge success
- 6 School athletics tracks gets eco-friendly floodlight boost
- 7 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 8 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 9 The Subways to perform at Bristol O2 Academy
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
So far the theatre group has managed to raise almost �2,000 for the charity but they are hoping to top up the amount with a Bristol fundraiser and raise awareness of the disease to make sure men get themselves checked.
Terry, who is a master tailor and worked at the Bristol Old Vic for 35 years making costumes for film and theatre, said: “I should have gone to the doctor about things a few years ago and I never did. I thought it couldn’t happen to me, so I was a bit late going.
“The cancer has now spread to my bones, which has caused me more problems.
“Whenever I see anybody now, I tell them to go to the doctor if they’ve got a problem.
“Women have always talked about breast cancer but men have never talked about prostate cancer.
“I think it’s improving now, but we’re trying to raise awareness about the disease.”
The Backwell Calendar Girls Charity Event will be a celebration of Terry Milton’s life and will include an auction, live music, good conversation and fun.
A copy of one of the group’s calendars, signed by the original Calendar Girls, will be going under the hammer on the night.
The event is free but guests will be asked to dig deep to donate to the good cause.
There will also be another opportunity to purchase the Backwell calendar.
For more details call Alison on 07757 794284 or Danny on 07769 599555.