Another gold for bloomers
- Credit: Archant
PORTISHEAD gardeners have struck gold in the Champion of Champions category in the South West in Bloom annual contest.
Members of Portishead in Bloom (PiB) returned triumphant from the regional awards ceremony in Trowbridge last week, after retaining gold medal status for the seventh year running.
In addition, long-term PiB volunteer Ken Windibank, was one of only four people in the South West to receive a special award for his dedication and contribution to the local community for the contest.
PiB chairman Sandy Tebbutt said: “I am delighted Portishead has retained its gold medal award and thrilled for Ken, whose years of dedication have been recognised by the judges.
“Once again we were up against some very stiff competition but all the hard work paid off and we are all very pleased the town can fly the gold flag once again.”
With the regional award under their belt, members of PiB are now waiting with baited breath for the results of the Britain in Bloom national competition, which will be announced on October 16.
* Portishead in Bloom is currently inviting nominations for the John Daws Cup which is given in memory of the late John Daws, one of the group’s founders.
- 1 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 2 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 3 LETTER: 'Has our council become a dictatorship?'
- 4 'Rundown' school play area given major refurb after campaign fundraises £10,000
- 5 Specialist pre-school in Clevedon rated 'outstanding' by inspectors
- 6 Clevedon SC secure second place in the Cotswold League Final
- 7 Clevedonian wins competition to name new housing development
- 8 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 9 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 10 Parental support charity receives lottery funding boost
It is awarded to somone who has made an outstanding contribution to the town.
The cup will be presented at the group’s AGM which takes place at the Folk Hall in High Street on November 21 at 7.30pm.
The organisation is also currently seeking sponsorship for tubs and baskets in the town.
Nominations or sponsorship enquiries should be sent to Sandy Tebbutt at 45 Nore Road, Portishead, BS20 6JY, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org