Annual swimathon launches
THE Portishead Rotary Swimathon is expected to attract a record number of teams this year.
The annual event which raises thousands of pounds for charities, takes place on March 26 at Parish Wharf Leisure Centre in Harbour Road.
In 2010 the big swim attracted 74 teams, raising almost �10,000.
With 50 teams already signed up for this year’s event, with more than three weeks to go, organisers say they are confident they will exceed last year’s record.
The sponsored event which starts at 2.30pm will be opened by BBC weather girl Jemma Cooper.
You may also want to watch:
Charities to benefit this year will include Cancer Research UK, MacMillan Cancer Support and Cystic Fibrosis Trust, as well as local projects and schools.
Teams of up to six people of any age can enter, they need to be able to swim in relay for 35 minutes in total. Anyone interested should contact Mollie Young on 01275 372725, Peter Scrutton on 842085 or visit www.portisheadrotaryclub.org.uk.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
Application forms can also be picked up from the leisure centre.