Annual swimathon launches
THE Portishead Rotary Swimathon is expected to attract a record number of teams this year.
The annual event which raises thousands of pounds for charities, takes place on March 26 at Parish Wharf Leisure Centre in Harbour Road.
In 2010 the big swim attracted 74 teams, raising almost �10,000.
With 50 teams already signed up for this year’s event, with more than three weeks to go, organisers say they are confident they will exceed last year’s record.
The sponsored event which starts at 2.30pm will be opened by BBC weather girl Jemma Cooper.
You may also want to watch:
Charities to benefit this year will include Cancer Research UK, MacMillan Cancer Support and Cystic Fibrosis Trust, as well as local projects and schools.
Teams of up to six people of any age can enter, they need to be able to swim in relay for 35 minutes in total. Anyone interested should contact Mollie Young on 01275 372725, Peter Scrutton on 842085 or visit www.portisheadrotaryclub.org.uk.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 3 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 4 Portishead salon to wear all pink for breast cancer fundraiser
- 5 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 6 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 7 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 8 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
- 9 Appeal after man injured in robbery
- 10 Countryside charity condemns plan to build 600 homes in village
Application forms can also be picked up from the leisure centre.