Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- Credit: Age UK Somerset
A charity for the elderly has called on people to volunteer for its latest service, which matches members up with an older person once a week for a walk and talk.
Age UK Somerset's Active Befriending scheme will run for an eight-week trial period to improve the mental and physical well-being of those who depend on its services.
The South West charity is made up of more than 250 volunteers.
A spokesman for Age UK Somerset said: "Loneliness is endemic among the older population, and for many, this is coupled with anxieties about going out following such a long time indoors.
"The newly created Active Befriending service aims to address the needs and anxieties of older people and help them to rebuild their confidence and renew their enjoyment of, and feel the benefit of being outside."
To get involved with the project, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01823 345623
- 1 'Red herrings' need to be ignored for Portishead Railway scheme
- 2 'I walked into a full-blown argument': Estate agent considering valuation charge for DIVORCING COUPLES
- 3 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 4 Festival date change due to Queen's platinum jubilee celebrations
- 5 Support for people with hidden disabilities living in North Somerset
- 6 Meet Clevedon's newest children's author
- 7 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 8 Wurzels return to Cadbury House for pre-Christmas West Country knees up
- 9 Art gallery to host 'Clevedon artist of the year'
- 10 Portishead Players ready for Christmas show