‘Acid leak’ closes gym

Fire crews attended the incident.

Fire crews attended the incident. - Credit: Archant

A GYM has been closed temporarily today (Monday) due to a chemical leak.

DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House said no-one was injured.

DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House said no-one was injured. - Credit: Archant

Staff at DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House took the precautionary move after swimming pool chemicals were seen leaking from a storage tank.

Jason Eaton, general manager at theclub, said: “We can confirm that the club at Cadbury House has been temporarily closed due to a leak from a storage tank containing chemicals used in the swimming pool.

“The alarm was raised when a member of staff noticed fumes were being released from the tank mid-morning and informed the health club management.

“As a precaution club members, users of the spa and all members of staff were evacuated from the building and fire brigade called.

“At no point was the health of club users at risk and we are now working closely with the fire brigade to establish when the club can be safely reopened which we expect to be later today.”

https://twitter.com/theclubcadbury/status/600249619659018240

The Congresbury hotel meanwhile has undergone a major £500,000 renovation to improve its conference and events facilities.

UPDATE: The gym is expected to open at 5.45pm today (Monday).