‘Acceptable’ homes plan debated
PUBLISHED: 10:00 16 October 2015
A housing developer has told a planning inquiry its 80-home scheme is ‘completely acceptable’’.
Developer Barratt Homes applied to build the homes off Brinsea Road in August last year, but was refused planning permission by North Somerset Council. Barratt then appealed the decision which led to last week’s appeal at Weston-super-Mare Town Hall.
The appeal was meant to finish on Friday but will now resume for a final day on October 23.
The development has been met with widespread opposition by the council, Congresbury Parish Council and campaigners, who feel it is unsustainable and would ‘harm’ the rural landscape of the village.
The council’s barrister Timothy Leader said: “The development would harm the character of Congresbury and the village will sprawl into open countryside.”
If approved, the development would see the junction of the A370 and Congresbury High Street widened – a move which is being opposed by the parish council, but is now viewed as safe enough by North Somerset Council.
The parish council’s barrister David Fletcher said: “Whatever mitigation to the already fairly congested junction (the scheme) produces would be achieved at the cost of pedestrian safety.”
However, Barratt Homes’ barrister Sasha White argued the development was ‘acceptable’.
He said: “Congresbury has a sizeable population and a range of services and facilities. The provision of 80 additional (housing) units is completely acceptable.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.