A gruelling nine days for charity
A CLEVEDON man will take on nine days of gruelling cycling to raise money in memory of a family friend.
Nigel Turner will attempt to complete the 1,000-mile route from Lands End to John O’Groats while collecting as much sponsorship for the meningitis fund, A Life for a Cure.
The 51-year-old will take on the challenge, which includes 70,000ft of climbing, alongside his brothers Mike and Jon and his best friend, Peter Scaise.
A Life for a Cure was set up following the death of 16-year-old Ryan Bresnahan, who grew up with Nigel’s eldest daughter, Sophie, but died from meningitis last year.
Nigel said: “Ryan was born three days after my eldest daughter and over his 16 years packed just about as much into life as he could have done.
“We saw him develop from being a cheeky chap to an intelligent, sporty and generous young man that relished everything life had to offer.”
A message from Ryan’s family, who have already raised �112,000 in less than a year, said: “Our commitment to raising funds in memory of Ryan is without doubt long term, with a personal fund-raising target of �1million, toward an overal UK-wide �7million target within Meningitis UK.”
- 1 More than 20 people fined for discarding fags and off-lead dogs
- 2 Councillors hit back at proposed bus cuts in North Somerset
- 3 Petition launched to halt planned bus cuts in North Somerset
- 4 Woman dies after collision in Clevedon
- 5 Bus companies to face Portishead residents at fourth meeting
- 6 Deal means Portishead to Bristol rail line will open in 2026
- 7 Make a splash for children's hospice this September
- 8 Pictures: Clevedon care home celebrates summer fete
- 9 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 10 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
Nigel, Mike, Jon and Peter will set off on their challenge on June 24.
To support them with a donation visit the website www.ryanbresnahan.org and locate LEJOG under fund-raising events or contact Nigel directly by calling 01275 870739 or emailing email@example.com