A bright future ahead as pool gets set for summer
- Credit: Archant
PORTISHEAD Open Air Pool will splash into action this weekend as it starts its 2013 season.
The doors will open at 8.30am on Saturday when the pool will be hosting a fundraising swimathon organised by the West of England MS Therapy Centre.
One or two lanes will be roped off while 14 brave souls swim in relay throughout the day, hoping to notch up 1,258 lengths of the pool between them, the equivalent distance to the London Marathon.
There will still be plenty of room for general swimmers and the tuck shop will be open for drinks and snacks.
Volunteers have been putting the final touches to the preparations for the new season.
You may also want to watch:
With the winter maintenance programme complete, visitors will see a number of improvements this year, including the replacement of many of the old paving slabs, a poolside non-slip surface, updating of the ladies’ changing rooms and new flooring in the changing room corridor. All this is in addition to the general cleaning and painting.
Trustees have confirmed that the goals they set when they first took over the pool management have now been achieved and a new business plan will be put together later in the year, setting out new long and short-term targets.
- 1 Portishead awarded GreenSeas Trust bin to tackle plastic pollution
- 2 Gorgeous three-bedroom character cottage in rural area, with annexe
- 3 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 4 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 New bike shelter opened at Weston General Hospital for Clean Air Day
- 7 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 8 Portishead Summer Show announces 2021 dates
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Circus Funtasia comes to Clevedon
Trustee Jane Humphries, said: After four years of fire fighting, Portishead Open Air Pool is now entering a period of stability.
“The objectives set out when Portishead Pool Community Trust was formed have now all been achieved and we welcome input from the community for new goals for the future.”
This season, trustees and volunteers will be developing stronger links with schools and community groups, new sporting activities are expected to be introduced and more swimming lessons will be programmed.
During term time, from Saturday until July 19, the pool will be open at weekends from 8.30am-7pm, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7-8.30am and 1-7pm and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-7pm.
During school holidays, opening times will be 8.30am-7pm every day except Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays when it will open at 7am.