AVON Fire & Rescue Service was called to a flat fire in Portishead yesterday (Wednesday, June 7) at 8:14pm.

Crews from Portishead and Pill attended the property, where there was a fire in the kitchen of a flat on the ground floor. 

They extinguished the fire using four hoses and a water jet, plus breathing apparatus and some other equipment. 

A spokesperson said: "We were called at 20:14 to a fire in a property on Bristol Road, Portishead.

"Two fire engines from Portishead and one from Pill attended and found a fire in the kitchen area of a ground floor flat.

"Crews used four high pressure hose reels and one 45mm jet to extinguish the fire.

"Four firefighters wore breathing apparatus for safety and a triple extension ladder was used and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

"A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear smoke. The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental ignition."