220-mile cycle for Cancer Research UK
A SELF-CONFESSED couch potato completed a challenge to cycle 220-miles from Clevedon to Brighton in aid of Cancer Research UK.
Tony Harris, a director of technology services company tlmNEXUS, thought up the challenge to ride from his home in Princes Road to the company’s Brighton office after launching a new cycle to work scheme.
The 49-year-old was also spurred on after his dad Ray was recently diagnosed with cancer.
He set-out at 3pm on September 28 and finally arrived at the Brighton office on October 1. Following national cycle routes, the journey took Tony through central London and saw him cycle for nine hours on both the Saturday and Sunday before battling wind and rain to eventually reach the Brighton office at 1.30pm on the Monday.
On the way, he carried a one-man tent on his bike and camped overnight.
You may also want to watch:
Tony, who only got into cycling about six weeks before taking on the challenge, said: “Before that, my main exercise was running to the bar for last orders.
“It was great but it was also hard.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 3 Nailsea & Tickenham maintain unbeaten start with comfortable win over Chard
- 4 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 5 North Somerset Arts Week is huge success
- 6 School athletics tracks gets eco-friendly floodlight boost
- 7 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 8 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 9 The Subways to perform at Bristol O2 Academy
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
“It was also enjoyable as it was such an achievement.
“My dad has got cancer and having seen all the other people at the same chemo sessions as him, of all ages, I think we have got to do something about it.
“They are benefitting from funding raised 20 years ago. Dad would probably be dead if it wasn’t for that.”
So far, Tony has raised a total of �1,200. Anyone still wishing to sponsor him can do so online at www.justgiving.com/tonyharris11