220-mile cycle for Cancer Research UK
A SELF-CONFESSED couch potato completed a challenge to cycle 220-miles from Clevedon to Brighton in aid of Cancer Research UK.
Tony Harris, a director of technology services company tlmNEXUS, thought up the challenge to ride from his home in Princes Road to the company’s Brighton office after launching a new cycle to work scheme.
The 49-year-old was also spurred on after his dad Ray was recently diagnosed with cancer.
He set-out at 3pm on September 28 and finally arrived at the Brighton office on October 1. Following national cycle routes, the journey took Tony through central London and saw him cycle for nine hours on both the Saturday and Sunday before battling wind and rain to eventually reach the Brighton office at 1.30pm on the Monday.
On the way, he carried a one-man tent on his bike and camped overnight.
You may also want to watch:
Tony, who only got into cycling about six weeks before taking on the challenge, said: “Before that, my main exercise was running to the bar for last orders.
“It was great but it was also hard.
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 3 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 4 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 5 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 8 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 9 Woodspring Women in hunt for new players over the age of 16 to join their side
- 10 North Somerset Stars lose out to Cheltenham rivals
“It was also enjoyable as it was such an achievement.
“My dad has got cancer and having seen all the other people at the same chemo sessions as him, of all ages, I think we have got to do something about it.
“They are benefitting from funding raised 20 years ago. Dad would probably be dead if it wasn’t for that.”
So far, Tony has raised a total of �1,200. Anyone still wishing to sponsor him can do so online at www.justgiving.com/tonyharris11