20mph village limit to be investigated
A 20MPH speed limit could be introduced throughout Pill and Easton-in-Gordano to curb those driving dangerously through the two villages.
North Somerset councillor for Pill, Donald Davies, has suggested the idea after receiving regular complaints from concerned residents about the speed of cars using the area’s roads.
Speeding has been reported to him as a problem outside St Katherine’s School in Ham Green as well as along the narrow roads leading to the centre of Pill.
Cllr Davies said: “I get lots of concerns from residents about traffic generally – most of them are down to speed.
“Most of the problems we have are from people who drive too fast for the corners and the narrow roads.
You may also want to watch:
“That is why I said about getting a 20mph speed limit in the village.
“You could spend millions of pounds to physically change the road layout but this wouldn’t necessarily change it.
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 5 Special school expansion progress
- 6 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 7 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 8 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
- 9 Families enjoy Easter donkey tale trail at church
- 10 Portishead coach firm launches post-lockdown getaways this summer
“If the law-abiding citizens of Pill are driving around at 20mph then it will slow other people down.”
On January 23, Pill and Easton-in-Gordano Parish Council gave their backing to Cllr Davies to arrange a feasibility study to be carried out by North Somerset Council.
He now plans to approach the unitary authority’s executive member for transport and highways, Elfan Ap Rees, to request such a study is undertaken to analyse whether a 20mph limit could be introduced throughout Pill and Easton-in-Gordano, what work would be required to implement it and how much it would cost.
* Do you think a 20mph speed limit across the two villages is a good idea? Let us know what you think by voting in our poll or commenting below.