10th moonwalk for octogenerian
A VETERAN fundraiser is limbering up for her 10th charity MoonWalk this month, at the grand old age of 81.
Mary Yates, from Clapton-in-Gordano, will be taking part in the annual event in London’s Hyde Park, on May 12, to raise funds for Penny Brohn Cancer Care.
More than 17,000 women attend the walk in brightly coloured bras in support of breast cancer causes.
The Pill charity provides a team of volunteers to represent Walk the Walk, one of the charity’s major funders, which organises the MoonWalk.
The charity’s events and corporate manager, Amy Cason, said: “Mary is a fantastic volunteer for us and is always willing to help out whenever possible.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s amazing that this will be her 10th MoonWalk with us and we’re very lucky to have her on board.”
Mary said: “I’ve been fundraising for years and the MoonWalk is one of my favourite events as it is non-competitive and has such a great atmosphere.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 3 Nailsea & Tickenham maintain unbeaten start with comfortable win over Chard
- 4 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 5 North Somerset Arts Week is huge success
- 6 School athletics tracks gets eco-friendly floodlight boost
- 7 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 8 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 9 The Subways to perform at Bristol O2 Academy
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
“I’m 81 now but I will continue doing it for as long as I can.”