The best flower shows to visit in North Somerset this summer
- Credit: Archant
From prize blooms in Portishead to classic cars in Clevedon, this year’s finest North Somerset flower shows are as much about a great day out as they are about gardening
Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th July. Flower Show Field, Clapton Lane, Portishead
Portishead annual flower show is North Somerset’s biggest, with over 24,000ft² of marquee space taken up by exhibits alone, and there is much more to the event than flowers. Children can enjoy everything from Punch & Judy shows to donkey rides, and Avon Alpacas are making an appearance. There are displays by the Ferret School, crafts for under 5’s and the ever popular dog display. Expect delicious home-baking, excellent lunches and plenty of tea, coffee and cool drinks to fortify you. And if you’re a keen gardener, there’s plenty of displays and exhibits to enjoy as well as the chance to compete yourself and take away one of the horticultural prizes, among the most coveted in North Somerset.
aturday 8th August. Worle Community School, Weston-Super-Mare
At this show there is something for everyone. For horticulturists there are more than 45 classes for different flowers, potplants and vegetables as well as floral art, while for the crafty and produce makers of the area there are homecraft, photography, handicraft and art classes, ranging from best chutney to best painting. children can get involved to and enter a variety of classes.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th August. Salthouse Fields, Clevedon
Clevedon Flower Show has been running since 1869 which makes it exactly the same age as the town’s historic pier and almost as well loved. This year’s show has over 300 different categories and they’re not only horticultural or for experienced gardeners. Beginners, children, photographers, artists, craftspeople and cooks all have a chance to shine. Apart from the competition, there’s live music, classic cars, stalls, face-painting and children’s entertainment to keep you busy. And an excellent cafe bar is open on both days if you need a moment to catch your breath.
- 1 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 2 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 3 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 4 Airport appeal to be heard in the summer
- 5 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 6 Businesses urged to claim coronavirus grants
- 7 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 8 Shop Local: Chamber of commerce urges people to utilise high street independents this weekend
- 9 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 10 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
Saturday 15th August.
The village of Tickenham’s annual flower show is 67 year’s old this year and as fresh as ever. There are dozens of classes, with wine-makers and local children getting in on the competition as much as growers of giant marrows and perfect dahlias. It’s a real community event and there’s plenty to see and do that isn’t about gardening, so it makes a perfect family day out.