Sprawling country house with grounds and outbuildings
- Credit: Hensons
A huge, versatile five-bedroom, five-reception room period farmhouse, set in beautiful gardens of about a quarter of an acre, in one of the finest roads in the desirable village of Backwell.
The house dates in part from the sixteenth century and has been in the same ownership since 1966. It offers charming features, including seclusion and far-reaching views of the conservation area in picturesque Church Lane and beyond.
The accommodation comprises; an entrance hall with vaulted ceiling, Velux window and parquet flooring, family room, sitting room, library, dining room, music room, cloakroom, utility room and kitchen-breakfast room on the ground floor. The first floor houses the bedrooms and a bathroom.
The double-aspect family room has deep windowsills complete with shutters, a period fireplace with stone chimney breast and ceiling beams.
Similar windows flank the doorway of the sitting room, which also has a sixteenth-century fireplace with dressed stone piers and Bressumer beams. This room leads to the library, which has a stained-glass window and plank door leading to the dining room and a quarter return staircase to the first floor.
An almost full-width bay window overlooking the gardens is a feature of the dining room and a Tudor-style carved arch leads to the music room. A doorway leads to the breakfast area, divided by a peninsular unit from the farmhouse-style kitchen, which has a range of bespoke pine cabinets, granite worksurfaces, an Aga and a walk-in pantry. There is also plumbing for a dishwasher, space for further appliances and ceramic tiling.
The bedrooms have built-in wardrobes and the bathroom has a rare Balterley floral white suite and tiling.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 6 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 7 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 8 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
Adjoining a school playing field, the landscaped back garden contains lawns, stone pathways, patio, cottage planting in shaped borders, trees including an orchard, a garden machinery store, a timber outbuilding and a cabin-style stone and block walled outbuilding with light and power. This is divided to form a summerhouse or could serve as an office, or gym, with a storeroom/workshop. This could provide the basis of an annexe if required, subject to planning consents.
The property is approached via a long drive and wicket gate opening onto a straight flagstone path flanked by ball-clipped privet bushes that draw the eye towards an arch at the edge of the west lawn.
Guide Price: £950,000 - £1,100,000
Location: Church Lane, Backwell
Agent: Hensons, 01275 810030