First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Portishead teachers WILL strike over workload dispute
- 2 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 3 Residents fear new homes between Nailsea and Backwell could 'open the floodgates'
- 4 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 5 Police take action against middle-lane 'hogger' on M5
- 6 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 7 Contemporary four-bedroom home packed with latest tech
- 8 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 9 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 10 Weston bathing water rated 'poor' and swimming discouraged