5 sailing clubs in North Somerset
- Credit: Getty Images
Whether you are a seasoned sailing professional or relative newbie here are 5 local sailing clubs that will help you realise your sailing dreams
Based on Sugar Loaf beach in Portishead on the Bristol Channel the club caters for all abilities from beginner to experienced and is working towards becoming an RYA Training Centre, so they can offer formal sailing qualifications from beginner upwards. They also have a full calendar of events, including racing competitions, as well as the Docks Fun Regatta, cruises up and down the Channel, and a social programme. There is also club fleet of boats available for hire to members.
Clevedon Sailing Club, a Royal Yachting Association (RYA) accredited club, provides lessons for all abilities, and ages from 10 years old upwards, including beginners and can take you through your RYA qualifications from the Level 1 Start Sailing to your Day Skipper qualification. It is situated on Clevedon sea front and the sailing takes place in the bay which is part of the Bristol Channel. As well as training dinghy racing is an active part of the club and members are able to race in the many competitions held between Easter and December .
The Weston Bay Yacht Club has mooring space along the River Axe for approximately 100 yachts and hold regular races and cruises in the Bristol Channel, and novices can get involved by helping to crew. For those who prefer to stay on dry land while their partners sail the club has a comfortable bar and lounge.
Based at Pump Square in Pill Village the PCC is a RYA approved training centre and currently hosts a range of sailing and social events throughout the year, including an active race calendar for all levels.For non-boat owners or novice sailors there are frequent opportunities to crew for members either in a race or by joining one of the many cruise in companies that Club members organise including visits to Cardiff, Gloucester, Lydney and Watchet to name but a few, while for the more experienced and keen sailors there are opportunities to travel further afield in company.
You may also want to watch:
The Axbridge Reservoir near Cheddar is home to the Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club, a RYA approved club that offers training for all abilities. They hold races on Sundays, and on Wednesday evenings from April to September.
Find out about other water sports you can try in North Somerset here
- 1 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 2 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 3 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- 4 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 5 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 6 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 7 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 8 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 9 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 10 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus