5 sailing clubs in North Somerset
- Credit: Getty Images
Whether you are a seasoned sailing professional or relative newbie here are 5 local sailing clubs that will help you realise your sailing dreams
Based on Sugar Loaf beach in Portishead on the Bristol Channel the club caters for all abilities from beginner to experienced and is working towards becoming an RYA Training Centre, so they can offer formal sailing qualifications from beginner upwards. They also have a full calendar of events, including racing competitions, as well as the Docks Fun Regatta, cruises up and down the Channel, and a social programme. There is also club fleet of boats available for hire to members.
Clevedon Sailing Club, a Royal Yachting Association (RYA) accredited club, provides lessons for all abilities, and ages from 10 years old upwards, including beginners and can take you through your RYA qualifications from the Level 1 Start Sailing to your Day Skipper qualification. It is situated on Clevedon sea front and the sailing takes place in the bay which is part of the Bristol Channel. As well as training dinghy racing is an active part of the club and members are able to race in the many competitions held between Easter and December .
The Weston Bay Yacht Club has mooring space along the River Axe for approximately 100 yachts and hold regular races and cruises in the Bristol Channel, and novices can get involved by helping to crew. For those who prefer to stay on dry land while their partners sail the club has a comfortable bar and lounge.
Based at Pump Square in Pill Village the PCC is a RYA approved training centre and currently hosts a range of sailing and social events throughout the year, including an active race calendar for all levels.For non-boat owners or novice sailors there are frequent opportunities to crew for members either in a race or by joining one of the many cruise in companies that Club members organise including visits to Cardiff, Gloucester, Lydney and Watchet to name but a few, while for the more experienced and keen sailors there are opportunities to travel further afield in company.
The Axbridge Reservoir near Cheddar is home to the Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club, a RYA approved club that offers training for all abilities. They hold races on Sundays, and on Wednesday evenings from April to September.
Find out about other water sports you can try in North Somerset here
- 1 Man completely covers his house with festive lights to 'spread Christmas cheer'
- 2 Man sentenced to at least 24 years for trying to kill his parents
- 3 Three-day Christmas market coming to North Somerset
- 4 Clevedon bookshop to launch grant scheme
- 5 'Historic' Down Syndrome bill set to become law
- 6 How a family-run funeral directors can help to provide peace of mind
- 7 Portishead retailer's suitcase appeal to support vulnerable African children
- 8 Christmas lights to be switched on in Clevedon this weekend
- 9 Clevedon family braves cold water challenge in memory of grandad
- 10 Clevedon United under-16 Girls stun Bishops Lydeard