5 of the best golf courses in North Somerset
- Credit: Archant
From the Brean Championship Course at Congresbury to Clevedon’s coastal views, North Somerset’s best golf courses are beautiful, challenging, and welcome visitors all year round.
One of the best known and loved clubs in North Somerset, Weston’s all-season course is a popular choice for visiting groups, and offers a range of packages throughout the year. Friendly as they are, Weston’s golfers are a competitive crowd, so don’t expect to take it easy – the 15th hole is almost an exact replica of the 17th at St. Andrew’s. Overlooking Weston Bay, views from the course are almost as good as the golf, and if you like to factor a weather challenge into your game, a stiff sea breeze is often happy to oblige.
Teaching is big at Tickenham and, in addition to an excellent 9 hole course, the club has a driving range and a wide choice of lessons including beginners’ courses and golf fitness training. All the club’s professionals are PGA qualified and passionate about golf, so if you’re new to the game it’s a good place to start. Tickenham also offers free taster lessons for adults and children.
Just outside Weston-super-Mare, this par 70 parkland course was designed in 1908 by golfing legend, Harry Vardon. Its wide variety of holes make plenty of demands on the most experienced players, but beginners shouldn’t feel intimidated. The club house is friendly and upholds some fine golfing traditions, so when inside please turn off your phone, make sure you’re clean and tidy and you’ll be warmly welcomed.
Clevedon Golf Club has a stunning coastal location so it’s no surprise that the golf course here is as much prized for its looks as its play. Even focused golfers have been know to falter at the famous 8th hole with its views clear across Clevedon to the Severn Estuary and Wales. The club may celebrate its 125th anniversary next year, but it’s far from old fashioned and the past two decades have seen the construction of 18 USGA spec. greens and 5 new holes. If you’re thinking of making a more lasting commitment to the club, you can also take advantage of their trial membership.
You may also want to watch:
With the 18 hole Brean Championship Course and the 9 hole Lakeside Course to choose from, Mendip Spring has a reputation for a challenging and varied course that places it among the top courses in the South West. Situated in Wrington Vale in the shadow of the Mendip Hills, its location is idyllic but central, so it’s perfect for visiting golfers. The beautifully converted traditional clubhouse has an excellent bar and restaurant and Mendip Spring organises a variety of events throughout the year for members and non-members.
- 1 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 2 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 3 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 6 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 7 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3