4 North Somerset Country Shows in 2015
North Somerset Times
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Whether you want to try yummy local produce and newly brewed beers or learn a new craft, purchase some unusual presents or even take part in the many activities – we pick 4 shows worth a visit this summer
Such is the appeal of North Somerset country shows that some in have been held annually for a century and a half or more – such as the North Somerset Agricultural Show and the Portishead Flower Show. The Agricultural Shows are a fab way to check out the cream of the farming crop in Somerset, while you’re sure to go home on a high after seeing the Air Show. Don’t believe us? Try out some of the following events and share your experiences with us!
North Somerset Agricultural Show - May 4 2015
A huge event and a fun-filled day out for everyone regardless of whether you like animals or not, the North Somerset Agricultural Show is now in its 156th year and is set to take place on Monday, at the North Somerset Showground. As well as livestock, animals appearing include Llamas, Alpacas and Ponies. There will also be quad bike rides, terrier racing, a blacksmith competition and felt making – as we say, something for everyone. Tickets are available online for from Buglers in Wrington or the Tobacco Factory Market, Bristol from April 12.
Dig for Victory Show - June 13 and 14
You may also want to watch:
Skip back in time – to the 1940s to be precise – by doing your thing and attending the Dig for Victory Show. An entertaining, as well as an educational, weekend there’ll be music in the form of wartime classics from Vera Lynn and Swing band impersonators to transport you back all those decades. There’ll be plenty of locally-produced food (for which you don’t need ration tickets) and, of course, there’ll be plenty of vintage stalls to browse. Join in the Victory Dance too. What do you mean you can’t dance? We’ve just won a war! The event is on June 13 and 14. See here for more info.
2015 Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Day - 20-21 June
- 1 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 2 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 5 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 6 Talent show judge releases book on postnatal depression
- 7 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 Brand new five-bedroom family home in AONB
- 10 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
This weekend of daredevil flying displays by the Red Arrows and the star attraction – the Avro Vulcan Bomber - is set to take place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June. There’ll also be fun fair rides for the kids and plenty of food and drink stalls as a nice distraction. Look out too for the military displays.
Portishead Flower Show - 25-26 July 2015
A blooming lovely day out, the 152nd Portishead Flower Show is organised by the local Horticultural Society and consists of 24,000 square feet of flower, food, craft stalls, kids activities and various arts and crafts workshops. For those fond of our four-legged friends there are various activities planned such as a sheepdog display and ferret & gun dog show. It takes place in the Flower Show Field, Clapton Lane over two days
Like this? Check out 5 free family outings in Nailsea.