EXPLORE: Look through more than 100 years of history for Clevedon Pier's 150th birthday
PUBLISHED: 12:00 26 May 2019
Clevedon Pier and Heritage Trust
Clevedon Pier has amassed an extensive collection of trinkets and artefacts in the past 150 years which celebrate the highs and lows of its history.
The Clevedon Pier and Heritage Trust, which cares for the landmark, will put a selection of the archives on display for the first time and the Times has had a look through the collection:
The shareholders' ledger has entries dating back to October 18, 1864 through to February 10, 1888. It contains the minutes from meetings held by the company and details the first investors prior to the pier opening in 1869 and for a couple of decades afterwards.
An advertising bill from August 12, 1875 showed details about Captain Paul Boyton demonstrating his innovative inflatable rubber suit off the pier.
The suit was a combination of life raft and kayak and was made in two parts. The person wearing the suit would stay dry and buoyant.
In 1893, £10,000 was borrowed from the town council to pay for a new and improved pier head and landing stage.
The brass pier head plaque commemorates the opening of the new pier head in April 3, 1893.
A green price board showed the charges for entry onto the pier.
It not only includes the day and season ticket prices for adults and children but also a reviewed costing if someone wanted to take their dog, bike or motorcycle.
The slot machine was one of three which were used on the pier until it collapsed in 1970.
It was housed in the old dance hall which was demolished during the subsequent restoration work.
A wall-mounted, wooden-cased telephone has a Bakelite handset with remains of its cotton-bound cord.
This type of system was used from the 1970s onwards for sites which were not on an exchange system.
The pier has a long association with the many pleasure boats which have landed on the pier head from Wales, North Devon and Bristol. A beautiful model of the Waverley Paddlesteamer shows the link between the pier and the historic boat.
When the pier collapsed in 1970, people pulled together to save it from total demolition.
A pier model was commissioned by Tony and Carole Wring to show the public inquiry the beauty and value of the landmark.
The archives will be on display from 10am-5pm on Monday.