Clevedon come from behind to record another victory

PUBLISHED: 14:59 15 March 2017 | UPDATED: 14:59 15 March 2017

Clevedon Rugby Club.

Clevedon Rugby Club.


Clevedon came from 17-0 down to record a narrow, hard-fought victory over Matson.

Clevedon 25 pts

Matson 20 pts

This was always going to be a hard-fought battle between two in-form sides.

Matson, the visitors from Gloucester, were on a seven-match winning streak and were keen to make it eight, started with intent and took an early lead with a try converted from a rolling maul.

From the kick-off, the visitors again built momentum, testing the Clevedon defence and converted a kickable penalty. Clevedon’s defence was severely tested again as Matson played with width and pace and went further ahead with a well-worked converted try.

From the long restart, Matson had a kick charged down and Blaise Bosley raced over in the corner to get Clevedon on the scoreboard, Hill converted for 7-17.

The Seasiders woke up and pressurised the Matson defence and after some quick recycling, a clever crossfield kick by Hill was caught by young Harry Buckland to score in the corner, Hill converted to bring the score back to 14-17.

Just before the break, Clevedon were awarded a penalty which Hill converted to equal the scores 17-17.

The second half started with the same intensity as the first, with Clevedon now looking the stronger of the two teams and they put some impressive passages of play together, but a combination of strong defence and handling errors denied them from adding to the scoreline.

However, on the hour, Clevedon were awarded a penalty after a high tackle, Hill duly converted to take Clevedon into the lead for the first time in the match. The exchange referee did well controlling the breakdown as both teams laid bodies on the line.

Clevedon moved further ahead with a try from Tom Thie after some quick thinking at the line-out and slick offloading finished with Thie touching down in the corner, for 25-17.

A late penalty for Matson saw them rescue a losing bonus point in the final minutes of the game for a 25-20 final score.

Head coach Nick Hill said: “It was a very good win against a good side, especially after giving them a 17-point start, they asked us questions which we answered which shows how far we have come as a team.”

The next game is tonight (Wednesday), a Somerset Cup semi-final game against Bridgwater, 7.30pm kick-off at Weston.

There is no game on Saturday, the next league game is away to Bridgwater on March 25.

Other Sport Stories

Clevedon came out narrow winners in the local derby at Bridgwater

Read more

Nailsea & Backwell lost an exciting match against Wiveliscombe by just one point at home in a high-scoring encounter.

Read more

A crowd of nearly 400 were treated to a fine game of rugby at Yatton.

Read more

Clevedon Town recorded a narrow victory over basement side Bitton.

Read more

A goal in injury time saw Portishead Town salvage a point at home to Wincanton Town.

Read more

Nailsea & Tickenham Reserves went top of the league after this victory over Ashton & Backwell Reserves.

Read more

A very young Nailsea United side came away with all three points against Odd Down Reserves at The Grove.

Read more

Backwell Swimming Club kept up an unbroken sequence of Cotswold League victories at Stroud.

Read more

Clevedon Tennis Club is offering coaching for children over the Easter holidays.

Read more

North Somerset captured the league championship title after defeating Tavistock in a winner-takes-all encounter.

Read more

Most Read Sport

Read Online

Read the North Somerset Times e-edition E-edition

Local Weather



max temp: 14°C

min temp: 11°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Somerset's trusted business finder

Find planning applications