Grandmother died of pill overdose

PUBLISHED: 12:00 04 March 2015

A mum-of-six and grandmother died after an overdose of medication, an inquest heard.

A mum-of-six and grandmother died after an overdose of medication, an inquest heard.

Archant

A MUM-of-six from Nailsea had been looking forward to a holiday and saving for Christmas when she was found dead in her bedroom, an inquest heard.

Susan Scott, aged 53, of Rhyne View was found in her bed surrounded by multiple empty pill packets and a bag of wrapped Christmas presents on November 4 last year.

An inquest into her death at Flax Bourton Coroner’s Court on March 3 heard how paramedics from Great Western Air Ambulance tried to resuscitate her for two hours after she took an overdose of multiple medications.

A post mortem found Tramadol, Codeine and Dothiepin in her blood and her bedroom door had been locked from the inside.

In a statement read out in court, GP Freya Scott from Tower House Medical Centre said Mrs Scott had been taking medication for depression from 2004-2009.

She also said Mrs Scott had taken an overdose of painkillers and vodka after a break-up with her boyfriend in 1991. She was seen by a psychiatrist and deemed not suicidal.

Mrs Scott was divorced and had been working as a general assistant for supermarket chain Tesco.

A statement from her mum Heather Morris which was read out in court said: “She was looking forward to going to Ireland to visit her friend. She hadn’t been on holiday for 25 years. She had also arranged a meal out with family that night.

“She worked at Tesco and everyone liked her. She had been getting up in the morning at 3.30am to earn extra money for Christmas, which she loved.”

Her daughter Amy Scott added: “She was a highly respected pillar of the community and highly thought of by her family, work colleagues and neighbours. In the days leading up to her death she was very happy and had cared for all three grandchildren on the Monday. She was also very encouraging about one of her children’s new business ventures.”

Assistant coroner Myfanwy Buckeridge said: “The GP report indicates little mental health history and family statements demonstrated a family woman looking forward to visiting a friend in Ireland. She had arranged a meal that night and was saving for Christmas. She had also recently offered to help in her child’s new business.

“The most appropriate conclusion is a narrative conclusion. Susan Scott died as a result of an overdose of medication. The question of intent is unclear.”

Other News Stories

07:00

Next year’s Portishead Carnival has been cancelled after organisers decided to review the event’s future.

Read more
Yesterday, 22:58

Pupils at Backwell School were treated to a cookery demonstration from members of the Royal Navy.

Read more
Yesterday, 18:00

Spots were sported across North Somerset this year, as hundreds of people turned out to support Children in Need.

Read more
Yesterday, 13:58

Three directors have been appointed at Bristol Airport.

Read more

Most Read News

Read Online

Image
Read the North Somerset Times e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Snow

Snow

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 0°C

Useful Links

Reader Travel

Clevedon Tide report

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

North Somerset Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Find planning applications