Report by Samantha Pope
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
A CLEVEDON man who posed as a qualified gas man has been prosecuted after incorrectly installing a boiler and leaving its owners at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Jeffrey Maslen appeared at North Avon Magistrates Court on Monday to face charges brought by the Health and Safety Executive.
The court heard how the 47-year-old of Macleod Close had installed a gas boiler at a property in Severn Beach, Bristol, with a totally inadequate flue.
The flue in the attic space was later found to have come apart – potentially exposing the homeowners to deadly carbon monoxide.
Maslen was not qualified to carry out the work at the property between March 1-18, 2009, and was not registered with the industry body at the time, CORGI. However, he conned his customers with fake documents he had created saying he was a registered engineer.
Maslen pleaded guilty to contravening three gas safety regulations and was given a 12-month community order requiring 100 hours of community service, an eight-week curfew and was ordered to pay costs of £1,412.
Speaking after the hearing, health and safety inspector Caroline Bird said: “Any business or sole trader who carries out any work on gas appliances without being on the Gas Safe Register is breaking the law.
“The consequences of incorrectly fitted gas appliances and inadequate flues can and does lead to loss of life.
“In this instance Mr Maslen pretended to be registered and aimed to deceive his customer, which highlights the need for householders to ensure they check the engineer’s ID card when they arrive at the door.”