Don't miss a story sign up to the North Somerset Times FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Clevedon couple return to their house almost a year after it was destroyed in blaze

PUBLISHED: 07:46 25 October 2017 | UPDATED: 07:46 25 October 2017

Trish and John Dean who have moved back into their home which was devastated by fire.

Trish and John Dean who have moved back into their home which was devastated by fire.

Archant

A Clevedon couple have moved back into their 200-year-old home almost a year after it was hit by a devastating fire.

On the afternoon of November 27 last year, Trish Dean, her husband John and some friends had just finished eating Sunday lunch at their home in East Clevedon Triangle.

But they were disturbed when two fuses went with a loud bang, before discovering an upstairs bedroom was beginning to fill with thick smoke.

Around a dozen firefighters attended the blaze, which destroyed most of the family’s possessions.

It is thought to have been caused by a flue in a joint chimney breast which dried out the timbers over a number of years, eventually allowing the building’s joists to ignite.

Trish told the Times: “Following the devastating fire, we feel very fortunate this happened during the day as the consequences may have been very different if it happened during the night.”

The couple were allowed to stay at The Old Inn in the aftermath of the fire, and Trish has thanked her son Jason and the Clevedon community for rallying around them in their time of need.

MORE: Fire destroys Clevedon home

She said: “During this time our first job was to organise a replacement roof, which was done before Christmas and entailed them working into their Christmas break – a big thank you to ADL Building Contractors and its workforce.

“The fire happened just over two weeks before we were due to set off to Australia, which we still managed to achieve along with our son Jason.

“We stayed with friends who just happened to live 30 miles away from a friend we had not seen for 51 years following her emigrating when she was 17 with her family – we had always kept in touch.

“On our return it was months before things were settled with the insurance company, in order for ADL to go in and renovate all the bedrooms and bathroom along with two of our reception rooms and a replacement staircase.

“A good friend, Ben Hand, was right behind them doing the decorating.

“They have all done an amazing job in our 200-year-old cottage, where nothing is level or straight.

“During this time we used our motorhome as a bedroom and during the day stayed at Jason’s house close by.”

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 14:00

Hundreds of people paid a visit to a national charity’s headquarters for a Christmas event.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:03

Christmas will arrive in Clevedon this weekend when the festive lights are switched on for the festive season.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:00

Nailsea Town Council has launched a new website to promote the town and its events and link people with community groups.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:07

Two schools in North Somerset are helping to prepare their students for the world of work by linking up with a local enterprise adviser.

Read more
Yesterday, 08:01

Teachers from across the world have visited students at Clevedon School to help them with debating and business studies.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:17

Teenagers and young adults in Portishead will be able to get discounted goods at several businesses around the town after a loyalty card scheme is launched.

Read more
Thu, 17:00

A solicitors firm has given free wills in return for donations to Clevedon Pier.

Read more
Thu, 15:57

A criminal gang has been jailed for more than 25 years after blowing up ATMs plus stealing a car and cas canisters in Bristol, Clevedon and Portishead.

Read more
Thu, 14:00

A Clevedon business has been revealed as a sponsor of North Somerset Tennis Academy.

Read more
Thu, 13:00

Allowing homes to be built on North Somerset’s greenbelt will cause more problems than it solves, according to North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton.

Read more

Most Read News

Read Online

Image
Read the North Somerset Times e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 5°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Clevedon Tide report

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Somerset's trusted business finder

Find planning applications