Clevedon couple return to their house almost a year after it was destroyed in blaze
PUBLISHED: 07:46 25 October 2017 | UPDATED: 07:46 25 October 2017
A Clevedon couple have moved back into their 200-year-old home almost a year after it was hit by a devastating fire.
On the afternoon of November 27 last year, Trish Dean, her husband John and some friends had just finished eating Sunday lunch at their home in East Clevedon Triangle.
But they were disturbed when two fuses went with a loud bang, before discovering an upstairs bedroom was beginning to fill with thick smoke.
Around a dozen firefighters attended the blaze, which destroyed most of the family’s possessions.
It is thought to have been caused by a flue in a joint chimney breast which dried out the timbers over a number of years, eventually allowing the building’s joists to ignite.
Trish told the Times: “Following the devastating fire, we feel very fortunate this happened during the day as the consequences may have been very different if it happened during the night.”
The couple were allowed to stay at The Old Inn in the aftermath of the fire, and Trish has thanked her son Jason and the Clevedon community for rallying around them in their time of need.
She said: “During this time our first job was to organise a replacement roof, which was done before Christmas and entailed them working into their Christmas break – a big thank you to ADL Building Contractors and its workforce.
“The fire happened just over two weeks before we were due to set off to Australia, which we still managed to achieve along with our son Jason.
“We stayed with friends who just happened to live 30 miles away from a friend we had not seen for 51 years following her emigrating when she was 17 with her family – we had always kept in touch.
“On our return it was months before things were settled with the insurance company, in order for ADL to go in and renovate all the bedrooms and bathroom along with two of our reception rooms and a replacement staircase.
“A good friend, Ben Hand, was right behind them doing the decorating.
“They have all done an amazing job in our 200-year-old cottage, where nothing is level or straight.
“During this time we used our motorhome as a bedroom and during the day stayed at Jason’s house close by.”